Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Life Premiere Screening

I got the wonderful opportunity last week to be invited to a screening of Discovery Channel's newest movie, Life, premiering March 21st.  It was held in downtown DC at the beautiful and ornately designed Mellon Auditorium.  According to the program I received, the auditorium connects the two wings of the building that houses of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency; what a fitting place to hold this premiere!  

Once, I got through security (yes, security!) the event was much bigger than I had anticipated, with members of the press (The Washington Post and CBS Evening News) and the International Community (Ambassadors from China, Spain, Columbia, and Argentina to name a few) were in attendance.  I sat next to two delegates from the Embassy of Singapore, as well!  



The President and CEO of Discovery Communications welcomed those present to celebrate Discovery's 25th anniversary and introduced us to the HUGE production undertaking that took place to create Life.  It took 4 years and countless hours of filming, anywhere from 23 days to 3 months per animal and across the globe.  The goal of this project was to get never before seen footage of animals in the wild and after watching the premiere the goal was accomplished!  I wasn't sure if I was going to be watching this series, but I've since re-considered and already have it set on my tivo!

It took my breath away to watch the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra provide the live soundtrack and then look further up to the screen as such animals as the Brown Tufted Capuchin, similar to a monkey, pound on palm nuts to reach the meat and food inside the nut or as the Basilisk lizard literally runs on water! My attention was constantly moving between the musicians and the screen.   



The reception that followed included little Chinese boxes with sushi and noodles and everyone was talking about the animals and how those scenes were captured.  They were truly amazing!

Upon leaving, each guest received a DVD of the first night's episode and a t-shirt.  

No comments:

Post a Comment